Why Magento Go Is Shutting Down
Magento has been around for quite some time now. Its long years in the industry surely made it grow as one of the most trusted and most reputable ecommerce platforms today. Like other things, this powerful platform has had its own share of ups and downs—one of its biggest struggles as a company is when it had to shut down Magento Go in 2015.
What is Magento Go?
- It is a cloud-based managed ecommerce app powered by Magento. It was launched in 2011, but was dissolved in 2015. It was re-introduced in 2016, but still failed to be successful.
- It was designed for small businesses that did not want to deal with the complicated process of installing and managing the huge Magento platform.
- It was created to compete with the two hosted ecommerce platforms gaining popularity at the time—namely Big Commerce and Shopify.
Why is it shutting down?
- eBay took over Magento, which brought about tons of changes where Magento Go slowed down and worsened performance.
- Magento Go, in an attempt to compete with Big Commerce and Shopify never really caught up with the competition. It had a lot of potential, but also had too much to be worked on.
- The Magento platform running as a self-hosted platform gave its users total flexibility—like its customizable and responsive Magento themes. On the contrary, Magento Go did not have that great feature that made its ‘parent’ app popular.
- Magento Go failed to hit the right balance. It was too complicated for small businesses that wanted to simply sell online, and was too simple for businesses wanting full control over their online stores.
- Read more Online Store
In a nutshell, the reason why Magento Go has to go is that it has been introduced twice, to only fail twice. The fact that it never hit the jackpot made the developers just want to end it. In addition, it could also be a way for Magento to focus on its core products that are still big today—Community and Enterprise. Magento 2 is also doing great, that there could simply be no more use for Magento Go.
Before ecommerce was born, to sell online looked impossible. It is difficult to get people to trust you, especially when you do not know them personally. Magento, together with the other ecommerce platforms that we know today, made it possible and easy. Now that it is going mainstream, as more…
Magento has been around for many years now, making it one of the strongest pioneers in ecommerce businesses. It might have been existing for quite a long time now, but it made the effort to continuously improve and upgrade its system to make sure it can keep up with the…
Some people would say that Magento is a complicated system to use when you just want to sell online. You definitely need to have some basic technical troubleshooting skills to make it work on its best potential. One of its complicated, quite confusing aspects is knowing if it keeps its…